Montag, 2. Juni 2014

Plaguebearers: Bases gone wrong

I am a narrative player. Having an army that „feels right“ is more important to me than kick-ass combinations. Fielding a lot of flying daemon princes is for me for example an absolute no go. Part of having a army that is coincident and that „feels right“ is having a background story. The bases are part of this story as they tell where the army is coming from/what they went through or simply underlining the character of the force. My Nurgle daemons are wading through a swamp. Dead trees are sticking out of the angle deep water and here and there bloated corpses and bodies are floating on the water surface.

At first I thought about building all those bases from scratch. But, as time is sparse, I went for the Blasted Wetland bases from Secret Weapon; I am a big fan of their accessories and washes. Before pinning the miniatures into place I painted the bases in dark earth tones (because they are wet). The tree stumps got a grey-greenish coat. To add some more details I glued some leaves on the base; they should be later on covered in water and maybe there will be leaves even floating on the water surface. 

Up to this point things went well, but then I applied the Still Water medium from Vallejo. I followed the instructions on the bottle and the guys from the hobby shop; it was them who recommended it after I explained them on detail what I wanted to achieve: Daemons wading through a swamp.
So I applied the stuff (2mm thick) and waited for 24 hours. The result was disillusioning. Okay, he guys in the hobby shop said that I will need one or two layers. But the medium shrinks so extremely when drying that I would need way more layers (I assume 8 - 10 layers). Even though this would take time - around a week - it wasn’t the worst. On some spots the medium crystalized and cracked which looks like shattered glass or ice.

Right now I have no real clue on how to proceed. I will get some proper two-component resin for getting the water effect. And I will buy my hobby supplies somewhere else (so much for supporting your local store). All that for sure. But I don’t know what to do with those crystalized and cracked spots. I would love to clean them up, but I am not sure how and I don’t want to destroy any of the work I have done so far. On the other hand, maybe it is fine with just putting the resin on top. Decision, risks... how much I despise them. 

Blank Base
Applying leaves
Ready for applying water
1st Layer: far from being truly under water
Crystalized and cracked "water"



1 Kommentar:

  1. I just played against Tcuker's Necrons yesterday and they had a really nice watery effect on their bases. Seems like the same kind that you were going for. I am sure he could let you know what he used.

    AntwortenLöschen