Samstag, 21. Juni 2014

Plaguebearers: Bases - 2nd round

All bases have been cleaned up, repaired, repainted and "releafed", and are good to go for the second attempt of adding still water. I did some additional research and now I have (hopefully) proper two-component epoxy; it's from Noch. I read good reviews about it, even though you need to be careful: the mix has to be correct otherwise it gets a brownish tint and it tends to "crawl up" any objects that stick out of the water.

As I had some really bad experience with the Still Water product from Vallejo I did a test run with the two-component epoxy first; yes, I should have done it with the other stuff as well. Lesson learned: Test, don't trust!

I prepared another upside-down base with some leaves and a stone. The leaves got different treatments to see how it would react with the epoxy. One of the mini-heaps got a coat of varnish to seal it - with the Still Water from Vallejo I noticed that the white glue that should be transparent gets milky. I also overpainted some of the spots where white-glue was on the base with black, to see if the paint would provide sufficient protection. 

Mixing the two components is a bit messy as the epoxy is quite sticky. To make sure I get the right amount I used two small syringes. After I poured the epoxy into the base I noticed a lot of bubbles (I read about this effect). Most of them I got removed with a tooth pick, the remaining ones disappeared after a couple of minutes completely. Good news is that the epoxy doesn't care about the white glue at all: there is no milky effect, the glue stays transparent. 

After five ours I checked again and it still looked great. There was a bit of the "up crawling" on the rock, but as the epoxy is still viscid I could push it down with my modeling tool easily. Any dents in the water evened out within a couple of minutes again. 

As said, the Plaguebearers are ready and the test seems to be a success - I will wait until tomorrow afternoon before I start celebrating. But I got high hopes that it turns out well, and then I can finally get the squad done once and for all. 


A single leaf was put on top of the epoxy after one hour to test if a "floating on water" effect could be achieved
  

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen