Sonntag, 15. Juni 2014

Raven Guard: Test Bases


Aside from my Nurgle Daemons I am also working on a Raven Guard army (and then there are some old 2nd edition Space Wolves and Chaos Space Marines waiting to be brought back to life. Not not mention that I really like Necrons.). As I am on the road right now due to my job, with none of my miniatures at hand, I will share some other none-Nurgle related thoughts.

I wrote in one of my first posts that the I am a narrative player and the background story and theme of an army is very important to me and should be reflected on the bases. The Raven Guard for me is everything about scouts, hit and run attacks and being not seen until to appear out of nowhere to strike of the snake’s head. For some reason I always imagine the son’s of Corax stalking through a autumn forrest, being barley visible because of the dense fog and their incredible skill to blend into the surrounding of dead trees and leaves. Catching that with a static miniature is challenge (the part with the fog I might have to skip).

Before getting all in I wanted to do some tests. I collected some branches for the dead trees, dried and glued them to bases to represent toppled trees. While putting them on I carefully twisted the bark to break it a bit open so it is possible to see the actual wood. In order to make sure the bark is not splintering off I applied a layer off thinned down white glue. For tree stumps I bought the resin pieces from Secret Weapon miniatures, same goes for the dead leaves. I could have used the twigs for the stumps as well, but I wanted proper roots. Modeling them is of course possible, but this also takes time (which I haven’t a lot of). For the the ground I tried different materials like static grass, rooibose tea (it makes great forest scatter), small rocks and modeling compound. I got the most of the materials for any of my bases from Basecrafts.

With the bases themselves I was quite happy; even though I wasn’t able to get a wet look on them. However, I put some of the Marines I had painted but not based yet on them and it look wrong. The whole appearance was too clean and somehow too colorful. I am quite grumpy with myself when things don’t turn out the way I would like them to. This time it wasn’t an exception. But this time I also had a solution/different option at hand quite fast: city terrain. Yes, it is not something very creative and unique, but with some cardboard, modeling compound, sand and a hand full of old plastic bricks I still had in my bits box, I managed to get some nice looking bases done. And most important: the Raven Guard doesn’t look so misplaced on them, like they did on the forrest bases. So as it stands right now the Raven Guard will be not fighting in a foggy autumn forrest, but in a destroyed city.

Test Bases: Autumn Forrest
Test Bases: Destroyed City

1 Kommentar:

  1. neat, I like the subtle color variation on the autumn bases. makes it look close enough to wood grain, works very well for me.

    AntwortenLöschen